2018 was a challenge for growing produce at HCG:
- We had too much heat early in the year
- too much rain later in the year
- problems with rodents eating our produce off the plants.
- But we still were able to donate 765 pounds of vegetables, fruits, & herbs to Christian Community Action’s food pantry.
Eleven gardeners adopted a plot this year.
There were two meetings for all the gardeners:
- Beginning of the Year Meeting to go over garden rules, commitments, and responsibilities. (February 17, 2018)
- Spring Garden Meeting to learn about organic gardening, what to plant for spring/summer, and other helpful information. (First Harvest on May 19)
Overview of 2018:
- We updated our website (Harvestcommunitygarden.org).
- We began Phase 2 with grading the area to be built. A backhoe was delivered to the garden in March, but bad weather and other challenges caused the grading to be delayed until mid-April.
- Then issues with irrigation plans put a delay on starting the project.
- In May, we had to fix broken water spigots.
- in June, the North Texas Food Bank gave us four new spray nozzles for the garden.
- Then in July we got new hoses.
Looking forward to 2019:
We are ready to trench for the irrigation and build the 12 raised beds!